Friday, March 19, 2010

Patrick named All-American at Baldwin-Wallace

Western Reserve’s Greg Patrick placed third in the shot put to earn NCAA Division III All-American status on Saturday at the National Indoor Track and Field Championships at DePauw University in Greencastle, Indiana.

Patrick threw the shot a school-record 55 feet and 1/4 inch on the fifth of his six throws that equates to 16.77 meters. Patrick became the school’s first ever All-American in the indoor shot put.

"It is really nice to throw your personal best at a national meet," Patrick said through a press release. "I have had a personal record in every meet so far this season, so to continue my progression has been a good thing."

The All-America honor is the second in Patrick’s career as he also placed eighth in the shot put at last year’s NCAA Division III Outdoor National Championship Meet. His throw topped his previous school-record throw of 54’6.75" when he won an individual title at this winter’s Ohio Athletic Conference Indoor Championship Meet by 5 3/4 inches.

"In my first few throws, I wasn’t finishing my throw," Patrick added. "By my fourth and fifth throws when I threw it out there, I had figured it out and they were my best. It’s very exciting, and I look to carry it on to the national outdoor meet. I am very excited about having my final collegiate meet in my home stadium."

Last season, Patrick was named the NCAA Division III Great Lakes Region Field Athlete of the Year prior to the championships and the Ohio Athletic Conference "Sparky" Adams Field Athlete of the Year after the OAC Championships.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home