Saturday, May 7, 2011

Dombrowski, Menchke inks letters of intent



EATON TWP. — Two talented Midview athletes signed their letters of intent on Wednesday as softball player Sydney Mencke and volleyball player Kelsey Dombrowski chose Wheeling Jesuit and Slippery Rock, respectively.


Dombrowski came to Midview after starting her high school career at Columbia. She said she was nervous at first about the move but was quickly welcomed into the Middie family, where she helped her team advance to the district semifinals in the Division I state tournament and finish second in the West Shore Conference.


"I thought being the new girl would be difficult at first, but the people here have been awesome," Dombrowski said.


Playing college volleyball was always a hope for Dombrowski, and Wednesday she was excited to make it a reality.


"It’s really exciting. I’m so blessed to be able to do this," she said. "I never thought I’d get this far."


Slippery Rock made an early impression, and even when she made other visits, the comparisons always went back to the school in Western Pennsylvania.


"The moment I stepped on campus and from then on, looking at all the other colleges, it pretty much just went back to Slippery Rock," Dombrowski said.


Being moderately close to home didn’t hurt, either.


"It’s the prefect distance," Dombrowksi said. "It’s not too far but it’s not close enough to where you can come home every weekend."


Mencke and the Middies are in the middle of another West Shore Conference title run on the softball field. Her decision was finalized some time over the winter but making it official took some pressure off nonetheless.


"During the fall I was so nervous about picking my college," Mencke said. "It was a lot of relief."


Mencke said she started to think college was a possibility when she had a good freshman season.


"We did so well since I was a freshman so that was when I started to hope so at least," Mencke said of playing in college.


And softball coach Mike Ives among others helped steer her in the right direction throughout her four years at Midview.


"It’s very exciting for me, all my life I’ve wanted to play in college so it is nice to have that opportunity," Mencke said.


Making her choice wasn’t difficult for Mencke, as Wheeling Jesuit just felt right.


"When I visited there I was very at home," she said. "I was very comfortable with the coach."


Mencke is 9-2 so far this season as the Middies try to build off last season’s regional appearance.

courtesy of Colin Wilson

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home