Thursday, July 8, 2010

Big Ten dreams come true for Mogus



It’s always been a dream for Geoff Mogus to play football in the Big Ten.

And as of Tuesday night, it became official.

Mogus, a Lorain native who will be a senior guard at St. Ed’s this upcoming season, will continue his football career in college, committing to Northwestern University at 8:30 p.m. last night.

"Big Ten football, you can’t pass that up," said Mogus, a 6-foot-5, 285 pound tackle/guard. "It’s been my dream to play in the Big Ten, so I’m excited."

Mogus entertained offers from schools such as Toledo, Ball State, Buffalo, Central Michigan, Youngstown State, Ohio University, Akron, Bowling Green, Air Force, Vanderbilt, Illinois and West Virginia, before settling for a full football scholarship from the Big Ten school — Northwestern.

"I liked the academics part of it," Mogus said. "To have a Northwestern degree on my resume would be great. They’re pretty much up-and-coming, they were 9-3 last year and they have a good program. I can’t wait to be a Wildcat."

Mogus, a lifelong Lorainite, attended Longfellow Elementary and played CYO Football at St. Jude’s in Elyria. He’s been playing on the varsity at St. Ed’s since his sophomore season.

"It’s a relief," Mogus said. "Now I can just focus on my season at St. Ed’s and focus on winning a state championship. I’m pumped for my senior season."

Mogus is not only relieved with his decision, but is determined to excel at the next level.

He is also appreciative to everyone who got him to this point.

"I definitely want to thank my mom and dad," Mogus said. "I also want to thank my coaches to this point. LeCharles Bentley and Mike D’Andrea has also helped me a lot too."

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home