Saturday, May 26, 2012

Hoty advances to NCAA Outdoor Championships


Perkins graduate Matt Hoty was among seven athletes from Tennessee to advance to the NCAA Outdoor Championships.

Hoty followed his indoor qualification in the men’s shot put with a trip to nationals outdoors. The first-year performer, though, made it by the slimmest of margins, punching out a throw of 59-10 1/2 on his first attempt that withstood the next five rounds of throws from his competitors. We wound up with the 12th and final qualifying spot.

“The first throw, I came out and said `I’m going to give it what I’ve got,’ and I hung on from there,” Hoty said. “I don’t think I’ve ever thrown my best throw with my first attempt, so it was kind of nerve-racking holding on the entire time.”



Hoty earned second team All-American honors in the event during the indoor season. 


Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home